One thing to keep in mind with video Overlays is that different users will have different connection speeds/methods - Wifi and 4G connected users shouldn't have any problem seeing in-Aura videos, but users on slower mobile data connections might experience buffering or loading prior to the video. The smaller/shorter/more compressed you can make your videos, the faster they're going to load on a user’s device.
So while the file upload limit in Studio is 100MB you really don't want to be anywhere near that - think how long it would take you to download a 100MB file to your phone or tablet.
Video Overlay Specifications:
For best results Aurasma requires the video to be formatted as an .MP4 using a H2.64 codec.
Though other video formats are supported:
- .Mov files will upload, but ensure they've been optimized first.
- If your video contains transparency then an .FLV format video with an alpha channel is required.
- While not strictly a video, .GIF files can also be uploaded & can contain transparency.
If you haven't made the videos yourself or don't have video editing software; you should be able to convert any video file using a bog standard video converter - many you can download free. One we can recommend is mpeg stream clip - it converts most video files & is great for downsizing & format converting.
You can download it for Windows or Mac here.
There is also a simple tutorial on how to use it here.
When a video is uploaded to the Studio:
- It is converted to 15fps.
- Two versions are created, one higher resolution which is delivered to tablets and one lower resolution which is deliver to phones. High resolution videos are resized proportionally so the smaller side is 480px and has a bitrate of 500kbits/s - lower resolution videos are resized to 240px with a bitrate or 240kbits/s.
- Audio is converted to mono - but best to do this before upload.
Video playback on devices:
Depending on the type of Aura you are viewing and the type of internet connections you have - videos will either stream (play as they are downloaded) or will need to fully download before they'll start.
Universal Auras (ones which can be viewed without following) will always stream the first time they're triggered - after that they're cached on the device.
Followed Auras should start caching as soon as they're follow providing that users are connected via Wifi. If users are connected by 3G videos will being downloading when the Aura is triggered.
On a 3G connection Mp4 and Mov videos will stream, while Flv videos must fully download to the users device before they'll start (users will see the Aurasma loading circles during this time).